Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Adventures on the Editing System

Its Adventures on the Editing System Day today! But since I don't have any good pictures from today I'll be illustrating the story with pictures of my dog and her 1st Xmas with us.

Game Room Dog

She is so cute! (I'll be sure to write that in puffy paint later) She loves cheese, water, shredding tissues, long walks along the beach (of the Allegheny River) and Pedigree Breath Freshener dog treats.

I pretty much spend all my day on the editing system. I actually started out editing and found it to be one of the most enjoyable parts of filmmaking. Directing is the glamorous part but only takes about 1% of the time on a feature documentary. The other 99% is usually spent editing. I'm not including pre-production or producing because that's real work and who really want to talk about that.... that's phone calls and organization... I'm already getting a headache.

Stella the Wonder Dog

My past 4 films have all been edited in High Definition on an Avid Nitris DS Editor in 1080i. Considered the Lamborghini Countach of editing systems this was a bad-ass machine in its time. Gettysburg and Stories of Valor (2004), Expo: Magic of the White City (2005), Horses of Gettysburg (2006) and most recently, World War 1 - American Legacy (2006), were all edited in HD on that system. I use a Sony 32" CRT HDTV widescreen monitor for HD work.

Prior to getting the Lambo I was editing on a Media 100 back around 2001 and 2002. Johnstown Flood was edited on a Media 100. Its a pretty straight forward editing system that was fairly reliable for the most part. Nothing too exciting to tell. In fact I still use it for rough cutting.

New rope toy!!

We recently parted with our Avid. Today was an exciting day because for the first time I started to edit on an Apple Final Cut on a G5. Now keep in mind I've never never liked Mac, always loathed them with passion and was so embarrassed when I bought an iPod that I couldn't sleep for week. I feel like I was working with training wheels today. The commands were all different, the mouse was weird and it smelled nice. I'm still unsure how to close windows, copy, paste and generally do anything. I stumbled around on it for a while rebuilding the rough cut of Classic Game Room and fully expect to be up to speed by Friday. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. Its very different from the Avid but very similar in many ways as well. I'll keep y'nz posted. If it can win me over it can do anything.


Classic Game Room: The Rise and Fall of the Internet's Greatest Video Game Review Show will be edited in Final Cut. From what I can tell the quality will be great, given that the source material was all shot in 4x3 Betacam SP and DVCpro. I'm also working with some old Super 8 footage and 16mm footage. I am remastering all the video where I have master tapes, remastering all the audio, music and sound and filming all new footage for interviews and new material. So if you liked Game Room back in the day on the computer over a 2800 baud modem you'll love this!

Classic Game Room: The Rise and Fall of the Internet's Greatest Video Game Review Show

Good dog!! Stella is a 1 year old German Shepherd/Chow Chow mix from the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society. Dogs are rad.

You can see the Classic Game Room trailer HERE.

No comments: